Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream
from eBook of Sweet and Savory Recipes, by Minnie Jardine
The quintessential matcha recipe. Dreamy.
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup raw evaporated cane sugar
- Pinch sea salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sifted Matcha powder blended with 1/8 cup water to form a smooth paste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
milk mixture over low heat, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar,
then remove from the heat. In a small mixing bowl whisk the three egg
Slowly pour 1/4 of hot milk into egg yolks,
whisking as you go to temper them, then add the yolk mixture back into
the remaining hot milk. Cook, stirring constantly, over low heat until
it thickens a bit. Remove from heat and pour back into mixing bowl.
the matcha paste, cream and vanilla and add to the milk mixture. Whisk
to blend and cool, then cover tightly and chill thoroughly. Follow the
directions for your own ice cream maker.
Matcha Green Tea Ice-Cream
from New Tastes in Green Tea, by Mutsuko Tokunaga
- 2 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp matcha + 2/3 cup hot water
- 1 cup fresh cream
- 1 medium orange, cut into sections
- fresh cherries
1. Heat the milk in a small pan to about 140 degrees F (60 degrees C). Remove from heat and set aside.
Place the egg yolks in a pan and beat lightly. Add the sugar,
cornstarch, and salt. and mix thoroghly with a whisk. Gradually
pour in the heated milk and stir, making sure that no lumps form.
Strain the mixture and pour it back into the pan.
3. Place the
pan over a low flame and cook until the milk thickens, stirring all the
time with a wooden ladle. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Mix the matcha and hot water and stir briskly until the past becomes smooth.
5. In another bowl, whip the cream until semi-stiff, fold the milk, and add the matcha paste.
Pour into a metal or plastic container, and place in the freezer to
set. After two hours of so, take it out and mix thoroughly with a
spoon or whisk, then resume freezing. Repeat this process 3 or 4
times to ensure the ice-cream is smooth.
7. Serve with orange sections and cherries.